Green Bean Casserole
Green Bean Casserole
- 1 lb Fresh Green Beans
- 8 oz Roughly Chopped Mushrooms
- 4 oz Bacon (about 5 large strips)
- 1 cup Thinly Sliced Yellow Onions
- 1/2 cup Finely Chopped Shallots
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- ½ cup Almond Meal
- 1.5 cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 3 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
- 2 Tbl Avocado Oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Aluminum foil is an acceptable substitute.
- Drizzle 1 Tbl Avocado Oil on the thinly sliced yellow onions and sprinkle with 1 tsp sea salt. Massage the Avocado Oil and salt evenly into the onions with your hands. Spread the onions out on the baking sheet evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350F, removing from the oven and stirring/flipping every 10 minutes. You’re looking for a brown/crispy texture. [Note: cook for an additional 5+ minutes if they aren’t crispy enough].
- Put a large pot of water and salt on high heat and bring to a boil.
- Roughly chop the bacon and add to a sauté pan on high heat. Lightly crisp the bacon then add the chopped shallots. Once the shallots are slightly clear, add the minced garlic. After a few minutes, add the mushrooms and continue to stir on medium/high heat.
- Cut the green beans into half and add to the water when it starts boiling. Boil for 5 minutes then remove from the water and place in a bowl. When the mushrooms have cooked down and have a golden color, remove the entire bacon/scallion/garlic/mushroom mixture and place aside in a separate bowl.
- With the heat on medium/low, add 1 Tbl Avocado Oil and 1 cup of the
- almond milk and stir with a metal whisk.
- Add half of the almond meal and whisk until it dissolves. Carefully add the rest of the almond milk and almond meal, whisking the mixture together over a medium simmer. Add 2 tsp sea salt and the 2 tsp pepper. Whisk until the gravy thickens slightly to the texture of heavy cream. Reduce the heat and add the bacon/mushroom mixture then stir.
- Add the green beans to the sauté pan and stir. Pour the entire mixture into a medium-sized casserole dish. Cover with aluminum foil & the lid (if you have one) and bake at 350F for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil/lid and sprinkle the dried onions evenly on top.
- Place back in oven for 5 minutes at 350F uncovered. Enjoy!